During the first week of class this semester my professor passed around worksheets with questions aimed to get to know students. Between filling out my hometown, major and a random fact about myself, one question stuck out to me – “What’s your favorite quote?” I immediately wrote down “Celebrate we will, because life is short but sweet for certain,” which are lyrics from the Dave Matthews Band song “Two Step.” I’m not someone who knows their favorite quote and has it posted all over my wall, so it took me by surprise when I put this quote down without any hesitation. I realized the reason this quote came so easily to me is because I appreciate the message behind it. This easy choice got me thinking about how other people my age would react to this same question – so I asked them. I asked 5 of my friends to give me their favorite quote, quickly and without too much intensive thought. Here is what they said:
- “Life is too short to wake up with regrets, so love the people who treat you right and forget about those who don’t. Believe everything happens for a reason. If you get a chance – take it, if it changes your life – let it. Nobody said life would be easy, they just said it would most likely be worth it.” –Unknown
- “You are braver than you think and stronger than you believe” – A.A.Milne (Winnie the Pooh)
- “The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away.” -Pablo Picasso
- “Whit beyond measure is man’s greatest treasure.” – Harry Potter
- “The happiest people don’t have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything.” – Unknown
To me, these all had a similar theme – to enjoy life and not sweat the small things. Well, this theme fit all of them except the Harry Potter quote, but that friend just can’t help how much of a Harry Potter fan she is. We’re all in our twenties and these quotes seem to look to the future and the things that lie ahead. As juniors in college, were all looking forward to what we have to come. I’m curious if people of other generations would focus on the same kind of thing when asked the same question. For now, I’m just happy to be looking towards the future.